BILLIARD EDUCATION FOUNDATION AWARDS 2012 ACADEMIC SCHOLARSHIPS
The Billiard Education Foundation (BEF) is pleased to announce the 2012 recipients of its annual scholarship program. The objective of the Academic Scholarship Program is to grant scholarships to high school seniors who have benefited from the sport of billiards and are pursuing a college education.
The BEF Academic Scholarship Program is divided into two categories: Excellence in Education scholarship (a single $2,000 award) and Aiming for Higher Education scholarships (three individual scholarships at $1,000 each).
The prized students adhered to the following scholarship criteria:
- maintained a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA (on a 4.0 scale);
- received an ACT score of at least 23 or SAT combined score (critical reading + math) of 1050 or higher;
- submitted a 500-1000 word essay on how billiards has been an integral part of their life;
- submitted a letter outlining academic achievements, leadership and/or community service work and a description of the applicant’s background and career objectives;
- must be accepted to an accredited undergraduate academic program by June 1;
- must attend an accredited undergraduate institution and carry at least 12 hours per semester
Congratulations to the following 2012 winners:
BEF “Excellence in Education” Scholarship ($2,000 award)
Megan Ferry of Denver, NC
(Click name to view essay)
The Billiard Education Foundation has awarded over $200,000 in scholarships since 1993. Said BEF executive director Laura Smith, “The BEF is proud to help young adults who have benefited from billiards to offset their education expenses and become our future leaders.”